There’s little that can top a seasoned hardwood floor, which, if cared for properly, will last a lifetime. If you are the proud owner of a home with hardwood flooring, care and maintenance are obviously required. Here are a few winter care tips for your seasoned hardwood flooring.
- Beware Of Salt– Local authorities use salt on the roads and this can be brought into the house on your shoes. Salt can cause stains on hardwood flooring, while hard salt grains can also scratch timber floors; the best remedy is to always remove your shoes before walking on a timber floor, especially during the cold winter months.
- Daily Sweeping– This should be done during every season, not just the winter, as debris and hard grains of dirt are easily present on the floor. Sweeping the floor regularly protects it and if you keep a small, soft brush and pan in the corner of the room, you can remove all debris, whatever it may be.
- Daily Mopping– When mopping a hardwood floor, make sure that the mop has most of the water removed and gently move the mop across the floor, making sure to cover every square inch. If you are going to use chemical cleaning solution, it should be a mild detergent, with no harmful chemicals. Hardwood flooring is not cheap, but it’s worth the investment. So aside from going to the best Melbourne solid wood flooring suppliers for such floors, it also makes perfect sense to protect the flooring as much as you can.
- Be Careful With Heat – In the cold winter months, you’ll likely have the central heating up high, yet this could damage solid timber flooring. You can use a humidifier to ensure that the air is not too dry, as it can cause timber flooring to crack and warp. It might be wise to turn the thermostat down a few degrees, which will save your floor and some money.
- Clean Up Spills Quickly – We all know how easy it is for someone to spill a drink and should this happen on your solid timber floor, it is important to remove the liquid as soon as possible. Even though the timber would have protective coatings, the longer the liquid sits on the floor, the more chance there is of penetration, so do clean it up in a timely manner. More tips on caring for hardwood flooring can be found through a simple Google search.
- Close Inspections – It is prudent to visually inspect hardwood flooring on a regular basis, as this would reveal any minor scratches and scuffs that can be repaired quickly. It might be in a corner or under a rug, so do carry out a thorough inspection, looking for anything out of the ordinary.
Image Source: Unsplash
Solid timber flooring is a big investment and if cared for properly, the floor will last a lifetime and every few years, you can have the floor professionally sanded and re-varnished. If you would like to learn more about hardwood flooring, search online for a leading hardwood floor supplier, and they can quote you for solid timber flooring.
Once installed, your hardwood floor will be a stunning feature of the property and regardless of the season, you should care for the flooring to keep it looking great.
Image Source: Unsplash