FBD Insurance know that losing a passport or having it stolen is every traveller’s worst nightmare. But don’t panic, they’ve prepared a handy 3 step guide on what to do if you lose your passport while abroad.
- File a police report – If your passport goes missing, you should report it lost to the nearest local police station within 24 hours. Obtaining a written report from the authorities is very important. You will need this report when applying for a new travel document and when claiming your travel insurance.
- Contact your travel insurance provider – Once you receive the police report contact your travel insurance provider. Have your policy number to hand. If there is a delay in receiving your policy report, contact your insurer and inform them about the delay.
- Contact the Consulate/Embassy at your destination – They will provide a replacement passport that will let you finish your trip or an emergency travel document that will get you home.
Handy tips to help you avoid a lost/stolen passport:
- Email yourself or scan a picture of your passport and important documents, so that you can access them wherever you are.
- Save a contact number for your travel insurance provider on your phone so you have it handy if needed.